Wednesday, March 9, 2011


Hey guys, so my ideas for what I wana do this year are pretty vague, been struggling a bit to figure out what direction I want to take but heres a few things I've been looking at.

Janice Kerbel's work explores the boundaries between fiction and reality. She designs elaborate plans for places that don't, or can't, physically exist. For one of her projects, Bird Island, Kerbel designed a convincing website advertising an island paradise. The island, nor the experience Kerbel promises does not exist, but she is interested in the idea of imagined ideals and deception. "If her plans were followed through, the object of desire would be destroyed."


Something else I came across was this exhibition based around the idea of cryptozoology which I thought was interesting in relation to the idea of the mysterious and the imagined. I like the idea of blurring the borders of fiction and reality and looking at myth, the unknown, questioning reality etc.

I also read a piece somewhere about Calvino's novel, Invisible Cities which is made up of a series of conversations describing a multitude of cities which make up a kind of fabulous imaginary world that doesn't exist.

I'm really not sure where I want to go from here but planning on carrying on with some of the ideas I was looking at last year with ideas of deception and illusion and fiction vs. reality. I want to steer away from doing too much of the same thing as I was doing last year working with the same sorts of photo collages, but not really sure what I want to make at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment